- 27 FEB 2020
Trinidad and Tobago Expands Travel Restrictions to Five Additional Countries
People travelling from Italy, South Korea, Singapore, Japan, and Iran will now be restricted from entering Trinidad and Tobago because of the outbreak of the COVID-19 (Coronavirus).
This as Cabinet expands its 14-day travel restrictions which previously applied to persons travelling to this country from China.
Minister of Health, the Honourable Terrence Deyalsingh made the announcement today at the Post-Cabinet Media Conference at the Diplomatic Center (Thursday 27th February 2020).
Minister Deyalsingh said a directive was given to the North Central Regional Health Authority to expand capacity at Caura Hospital.
“So we are adding twenty beds to Caura which will be ready in about two weeks.”
The Health Minister also noted that the recently opened 67-bed facility in St James will also be made available if required.
He said over the next two to three weeks a new facility at the Port of Spain General Hospital will be operationalised for isolation capacity.
Should the country experience a major outbreak of COVID-19 the Couva Hospital has been identified for use.
The Minister revealed, “In the event that there is a serious outbreak, we must have a major medical facility which could be quarantined and locked down by security.”
Deyalsingh said Cabinet will be working with the Tobago Regional Health Authority through the Chief Medical Officer to ramp up their isolation capabilities.
Cabinet also announced the establishment of a Standing Committee to deal with public health concerns and emerging infectious diseases. He said the committee will be chaired by the Chief Medical Officer and will report jointly to the Minister of Health and the Minister of National Security.
The Chief of Defense Staff, the Chief Immigration Officer, the Ministry of Foreign and CARICOM Affairs and the Ministry of Education are just a few entities that will be included on the committee.