- 05 JUL 2018
Security and CSME Take Focus in Jamaica
Today (Thursday 5th July, 2018), activities of the 39th Regular Meeting of the Conference of Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community continued in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
During the morning period the Twenty-Fourth Meeting of the Prime Ministerial Sub-Committee (PMSC) on External Negotiations was held.
The meeting was an opportunity for the leaders to examine the overview of regional and global developments. They were also able to discuss the following items:
· Existing Bilateral Trade Agreements
· CARIFORUM/European Union (EU) Economic Partnership Agreements (EPA)
· Possible New Bilateral Trade Agreements
· The World Trade Organisation
· Future Trade Relationships with the United Kingdom – Post BREXIT
· The Approach to Ensuring Continuity of the Necessary Aspects of the Cotonou Agreement
· ACP/EU Post-Cotonou Negotiations
Thereafter, the leaders commenced the First Business Session-Plenary where one of the main items up for discussion was the CARICOM Single Market and Economy (CSME).
As the day proceeds, the leaders will be hosted to a working lunch by Prime Minister of Jamaica the Honourable Andrew Holness where they will engage in an exchange of views with the President of Cuba, His Excellency Miguel Diaz-Canel.
Later on in the day the leaders will also meet in caucus and engage in discussions on security issue; matters related to the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ); legal opinion on the entitlement of Haitian nationals to an automatic six months upon arrival in CARICOM member states as well as a report of the commission to review Jamaica’s relations within the CARICOM and CARIFORUM frameworks.
At the time of this release the First Business Plenary Session was still in progress.