- 28 NOV 2016
Sport and Culture Fund
The Sport and Culture Fund was established by Act No. 31 of 1988 with amendments articulated in Act. No. 25 of 1993.
The purpose of the Fund, as stated in Section 4 of the Act is as follows:
- To facilitate the provision of sporting and cultural facilities;
- To enable grants and loans to be made to deserving individuals, groups and organisations according to criteria prescribed by the Board;
- To undertake any other activity related to Sport and Culture; and
- To undertake or do all such things as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the above purposes
The goals and objectives of the Fund are:
- To encourage and to facilitate the promotion of excellence in Sport and Culture by individuals and organisations involved in activities related thereto;
- To assist in the nurturing and development of human and technical resource capabilities in Sport and Culture;
- To encourage self-reliance of groups, associations and individuals;
- To facilitate the provision and upgrading of facilities for sporting and cultural activities; and
- To facilitate the promotion or research and development and to determine the feasibility of undertaking projects relating to Sport and Culture.
The Board will from time to time determine priority areas which it may wish to pursue in the development of Sport and Culture. Such priority areas include but are not limited to:
- Community Development – Cultural and Sporting activities beneficial to wider community
- Training and Development in areas of Sport and Culture
- Facilities – Construction of buildings to facilitate Sporting and Cultural activities
- National Development
Assistance will be given solely in the form of grants as deemed appropriate by the Board. Funding is received from the Instant Lottery Surplus of the National Lotteries Control Board, a Board established under Section 3 of the National Lotteries Act. The Instant Lottery Surplus is the amount realised after defraying all the expenses and payments of prize money from the proceeds received from each instant lottery – Scratch game.
Download the Guide to Sport and Culture Fund for more information.