- 28 NOV 2016
Gender and Child Affairs
The mandate of the Gender Affairs Division is to effectively promote Gender Equity and Gender Justice through the process of Gender mainstreaming in all Government Policies, Programmes and Projects.
The Gender Affairs strategic objectives are:
- To improve the quality of life of men and women and boys and girls, at all levels of society through the promotion of gender equity and equality;
- Research and disseminate information on gender specific issues;
- Promote change in gender discriminatory social consciousness and traditions;
- Build consultative mechanisms within government, international and regional agencies, academia, NGOs and private sector partners in advancing gender equality;
- Develop gender policies to promote the equitable advancement of women and men, and boys and girls in all spheres of development and
- Prevent, punish and eradicate gender based violence.
Similarly, the Child Affairs Division is responsible for several duties including the:
- Implementation of strategies of the UNICEF Convention on the Rights of the Child at a national level;
- Provision of guidance to transitioning State Homes;
- Provision of a secure and nurturing environment for all children; and
- Development of comprehensive, coherent & harmonized initiatives to promote, protect & respect child rights
For more information on the Gender and Child Affairs Division, visit their website: http://www.opm-gca.gov.tt/